Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wiz Khalifa "Rolling Papers"



6.5/10


Lyrics:
Wiz Khalifa is known for glorifying the fact that he sleeps around with many women, that he is always smoking marijuana and drinking Gin with his group of friends (the Taylor Gang), and having new fashionable clothing. If this is what you are looking for, this album definitely has that content. Songs like "On My Level" featuring Bay Area Legend Too Short highlight the lyrical content that has brought success to Wiz's career. He continues to have that charismatic tone through out the album, which works as a double edge sword– some love it or they hate it. Since I have been a Wiz fan for a while (almost three years now) I wish I could've seen more progression and growth in his flow and content.


Production:
If you are new to Wiz Khalifa (meaning that "Kush and OJ" was the first project you heard from him) the production style is pretty different. The songs produced by E. Dan And Big Jerm such as "The Race" and "Star of the Show" are my favorite because the mood/feel of the music reminds me of a lot of the old Wiz's songs. 


Overall:
I give this album a 6.5/10 because I have felt like some of his mixtapes have been better than this overall project. I think Wiz might of had a lot of pressure from the labels to top his first single "Black & Yellow" (which is one of his greatest songs he has made in his career) which ruined his originality and creativity in my opinion. Also, some songs shouldn't have been in the album because I can skip through them and go to my favorite ones. But if you are a true Taylor, I recommend to get this album and lets continue supporting this talented artist.


iTunes Link:
Rolling Papers (Deluxe Edition) 

No comments:

Post a Comment